Friday, October 30, 2009

My Smiling Heart

If it's possible for your heart to smile, then mine wore a permanent grin all day!

The day started off at 5:00am in the kitchen. I was in charge of bringing the snack/dessert for Rylan's class party today. So, at 5:ooam I was in the kitchen making 'worms in dirt' for his Halloween party...I had already made the Halloween Chex Mix cups the night before. As I was making them I couldn't help but think about the NUMEROUS times my mom did the same for me when I was younger. She never just bought store made cupcakes or cookies. She always woke up extra early the day of my class party to make something special. I remember how special I felt that my mom always did that, and I hope my boys will grow up with similar memories.

Chex Mix cups with M&M's and candy corn.

And a special Halloween straw to top it off.

Worms in dirt...a Halloween party classic!

After I finished up the party treats I went and woke Rylan up for the day. He usually eats cereal for breakfast so I made his usual and handed it to him. That is when I heard my little man politely say, "No sanks, shicken nuggets pease!" What?! Chicken nuggets for breakfast?? For a moment I thought about saying no and then I figured, what the heck, sure, let's have chicken nuggets for breakfast! So, before leaving for school he finished off 5 chicken nuggets.
Whoever said Wheaties was the breakfast of champions obviously never had chicken nuggets for breakfast!


Then, last week the kids at Rylan's school were suppose to decorate a pumpkin and bring it in for a decorating contest. It was tempting for Cody and I to take over and really decorate it like we thought it should be decorated. However, I set out three colors of paint and just let Rylan go at it. He worked and worked on it until it was totally covered in paint. Well, today when I walked into the lobby of his school to pick him up I saw it...his pumpkin with a FIRST PLACE ribbon on it! He won the contest for his age group. I cannot even explain the look on his face when I showed him his prize winning pumpkin! He is so proud of himself and he has talked about his 'punkin winner' all evening! Now, how do I convince a 2 year old that we cannot save and keep a pumpkin on his dresser forever?
The most beautiful pumpkin I've ever seen!

4 comments:

Kim said...

You are SUCH a good mom!!! Whenever you have a bad day, you just call me, and I'll remind you how good of a job you are doing! I think it's great. Keep it up! Rylan and Hudson are lucky little boys!

Val said...

So cute - I have those same memories about my childhood memories and try to do the same for my girls. Beclynn recently won a ribbon too - and we hung it in her room and made a big deal - maybe you can frame the picture of the pumpking and put the ribbon on that for him to keep.

Julie Benson said...

Awww! Good job Rylan!

jaime mcnab said...

Good Job Rylan! I like your music on your blog. :)