Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fellowship Of Christian Athletes Camp 2009

This was our second year to attend the FCA summer sports camp. This year the camp was held on the Texas A&M campus since Baylor was undergoing some renovations. Although it was fun to see A&M, we are hoping it will be back at Baylor next year since the facilities there are MUCH nicer...sorry all you Aggies!

We packed up this past Tuesday and met up with the Timmermans to head to College Station. We all shared a 4 bedroom "apartment" which is part of the campus housing. Although we had some interesting times making a 1 year old, 2 year old and 4 year old get along for 5 days, I think it's safe to say that we all really enjoyed our time together!

Natalie and I did our best to entertain the kids while the guys were coaching in the mornings and afternoons. Although FCA offers some great devotional times for coaches' wives, we didn't participate in them this year since our kids were so small and we really didn't want to leave them in the daycare. Maybe in a year or two we'll be able to participate more.

Cody worked the baseball camp and had a great time. He also met some other great baseball coaches from around the state that I'm sure he'll be keeping in touch with. Although it was incredibly hot there every day (111 degrees on the baseball field!!!) Cody of course was just having a blast teaching baseball to kids.

We ran into one minor snag while we were there. On Friday I began feeling pretty bad...okay, really bad! I was so hot and nauseated even though Natalie and I were inside at the Children's Museum. I ended up leaving with Rylan and heading back to the room. I just rested the remainder of the day, but by 6:00 that night I was so miserable that I had Cody take me to the ER. I couldn't stand the thought of drinking or eating and I knew I was getting dehydrated. After some IV fluids and 2 doses of Zofran and a dose of Morphine I was finally feeling better and we were able to go at 10:00pm. By the next day I was REALLY feeling better and so far everything has been good since then. I really think I just got overheated and hadn't been drinking enough water. The baby had been moving around as usual and I was mostly just worried about staying hydrated to keep my amniotic fluid level up.

This morning we attended the last "chapel" meeting and it was awesome to see how many kids had accepted Christ this week as a result of this camp. I pray that these kids can keep this attitude and faith even when they leave camp and head home. Overall, we had a great time and look forward to going back next year...with a 3 year old AND a 10 month old!!


This wasn't actually at camp. This was a few days before we left for camp. Rylan put Cody's black socks on and then wrapped himself around this shade roll like a little monkey. The look on his face kills me!
We went to see the Bonfire Memorial on the A&M campus one evening. It really is a great memorial!

Rylan walking up to the memorial with his daddy.

Cody and Rylan on the other side of the memorial.

Taking a break and resting with Momma.

While we were at the memorial, Rylan fell head first into the black gravel that lines the entire walking path. As a result he has this nice little bruise on his head with some "connect the dots" scabs on his head and chin. He cried immediately, but then calmed down pretty fast and has been tough ever since.

Rylan and Daddy on Kyle Field.

We were there for the 4th so we pulled the car up to the top of the parking garage to watch the fireworks. Rylan was in the back of the car waiting for the fun to begin.

Our little family on the 4th of July.

Rylan watched the first few fireworks, but really wasn't too impressed. After about 2-3 minutes he just put his head down and went to sleep.

Sleeping through the fireworks on Daddy's shoulder.

Even when we got back to the room he was like a rag doll while we put his PJ's on. He didn't even know the world was spinning.

Still in the same position after taking his clothes off and changing his diaper.

Ready to head home...with his fishing hat on.

1 comment:

Kim W. said...

The pictures are so cute. I love the family pic of the 3...or 4! or yall! :) And the ones of Rylan crashed and not waking up...I love it! We have a few of those, too. I always wonder, how do they not wake up when I change their diaper?! Haha! And love the fisherman hat! Precious. Sure was good seeing yall. Come back again next time yall are in town! We loved it!!